When we arrive at our new home after moving house, we have to put back all our decoration and useful devices in all the rooms. In the case of bathrooms or kitchens, the most common thing to do is to hang the elements on the wall by screwing them and, although it is an easy task, you have to be especially careful if it is a tiled wall. For this reason, we explain how to drill tiles.
How to make a hole in a tile without breaking it?
To drill holes in a tiled wall, you will need the following tools:
- Drill: is the tool used to drill holes in the wall
- Drill bits: is the metal rod that pierces the tile. It should be the same number as the dowels.
- Tacos: is the hollow piece with dowels that is inserted into the hole. It should be the same size as the drill bit. It is usually made of nylon or metal.
- Screws: are the metal parts that hold the element in place when it is hung on the wall. They should be 1.5 mm smaller than the plug.
- Metal detector: this device can be used to detect pipes or cables embedded in the wall.
Step by step
- Determine the location where you are going to make the hole.
- Place a masking tape on the tileat the location of the hole. This adhesive tape is used to prevent the drill bit from slipping in the ceramic and the tile from chipping.
- Position drill bit in place and tighten the trigger. At first, the speed is low, as the aim is to mark the hole. Afterwards, you give it more speed, you can even use the striker of the drill for drilling. From time to time, the drill bit must be pulled out of the hole in order to compare the depth of the hole with the size of the block.
- Then, when it is found that the entire block can fit in the hole, the introduce.
- The tile is drilled and can now be screwed.
- Avoid drilling in corners of the tiles, as they could break.
- It is possible to keep clean the area by sticking the flap of an envelope on the wall, just below what is to be screwed. In this way, the dust falls into the open envelope.
- To drill a porcelain tile, the following must be done use a special drill bit.
- It is possible to use a drill guide, which is a very convenient tool whose non-slip base serves as a guide for the drill bit. It allows a hole to be drilled perfectly square to the surface.
In the end, drilling a tile is a task without This complication allows you to fix all kinds of accessories or mirrors in the bathroom or kitchen. But if you don't want to drill holes, you can also opt for mounting stickers. or double-sided tapes.
How to avoid making holes?
If you want to avoid drilling holes in the wall, you can use the following alternatives:
- Adhesive hangers: there are a wide variety of adhesive hangers on the market that allow you to hang objects of different weights without having to drill holes. They come in different sizes and shapes, allowing you to choose the one that best suits your needs.
- Double-sided tape: If you need to hang light objects, you can use double-sided tape. It is important to make sure that the wall surface is clean and dry so that the tape adheres properly and the object does not fall off.
- Curtain hooks: If you need to hang curtains, you can use curtain hooks that attach to the upper moulding of the window without the need to drill holes in the wall.
- Hanging baskets: if you need to store small items, you can use hanging baskets that hang from the upper door or window moulding without the need to drill holes.
How to drill a hole without a drill?
If you need to drill a hole but don't have a drill, you can use some of these techniques:
- Nails and hammer: if you need to make a small hole, you can use a nail and a hammer. Place the nail over the area where you want to make the hole and tap it gently with the hammer until it goes through the wall.
- Screwdriver: if you need to make a larger hole, you can also use a screwdriver. Place the screwdriver over the area where you want to make the hole and turn it clockwise and counterclockwise to gradually enlarge the hole.
- Hand drill: there are hand drills on the market that do not require electricity or batteries. These drills work with a hand crank system that allows holes to be drilled in the wall without the use of an electric drill.
- Hand drill: this type of drill is similar to the hand drill, but with a drill bit and a gear system that allows larger holes to be drilled. It is used by turning a crank that drives the drill and allows the hole to be drilled.
Remember that, before using any technique, it is important to make sure that the wall has no hidden pipes or wires that could be damaged when drilling the hole. Always use the right tools and follow the manufacturer's instructions to avoid damaging the wall or the objects you want to hang.
Drilling holes in the wall can be a task that requires some skill and the right tools, but there are a number of techniques that allow you to do it without using a drill. It is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and ensure that the wall is free of hidden pipes or wiring before drilling any holes. If in doubt, it is best to ask a professional for help to avoid damaging the wall or the objects you want to hang.